South Downs Tours | FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What should I wear on my tour?

    There are a few short walks on the tour and so the most important item you need is a good pair of comfortable shoes. The terrain is not difficult and therefore walking boots are not necessary. Trainers or something similar will be more than adequate. It is also important to dress appropriately, according to the weather conditions on the day. (You can check the day’s weather forecast on the home page of this website). Please remember this is England and conditions can change fairly quickly! It may be a good idea to bring an extra layer of clothing for walking on the top of the Downs. It may be prudent to bring a waterproof coat. There is plenty of luggage space in the minibus for extra clothes to be stored, if not required.

  2. What happens if it rains?

    Tours will continue in all weathers unless there is a cause for concern over safety. The tour may however, be adjusted, to avoid being on top of the hill in the worst of the weather for example, and a wet weather option is also available.

  3. Do you provide snacks and water?

    Bottled water can be provided. You are welcome to bring your own snacks and you will have the opportunity to purchase refreshments in the café at Birling Gap, in the village of Alfriston and also at Middle Farm, if you are on the Full Day Out Tour.

  4. How fit do I need to be to join the tours?

    The longest walk on the tour is at Seaford Head where we will take a ten minute walk to the Fisherman’s cottages. Although there is a slight incline, the path is in good condition. A basic level of fitness will be fine although with regret, the tour is not suitable for Blue Badge holders.

  5. Is the tour guide first aid trained?

    I have many years’ experience as a first aider. A first aid kit is routinely carried on the bus. It is important that you let me know whether you, or any travelling companions, have existing allergies or medical conditions that I should be aware of, especially if you are required to carry medication for asthma or an Epi-pen.

  6. Do you have Public Liability insurance?

    Yes. I am fully insured up to £10m.

  7. Are you DBS checked?

    Yes. I am licenced to drive for private Hire by Eastbourne Borough Council. Pre-requisites for this licence is a DBS check and an independent Taxi Driver Certificate.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me on

Website built by Worldwide Webdesign